Authored by ZenRock Personal Trainer, Nikki Zhao | Check out Nikki’s bio to learn more about her!
The holiday season often presents rich celebratory meals and the potential for heightened stress from parties, visiting with extended family, and other individual stressors. We would like to offer you some tips on how to stay active and be mindful of what you eat so that you can still enjoy all that the holidays have to offer. You may not be able to stick to your normal workout routine with all the fun, so even just a few minutes of exercise is better than nothing.
Find Opportunities to Exercise
- Climb stairs rather than the elevators/escalators
- Consider parking at a further distance from your destination to get those steps in
- Walk a few laps around the mall before shopping
- Be choosy and spend your calories on the foods you love most
- Fill your plate with veggies, fruits, greens, and lean proteins
- Try to stick to the calorie free drinks: water, tea, seltzer, etc.
- Avoid alcohol on an empty stomach. Alcohol increases your appetite and diminishes your ability to control what you eat.
- Eat until you’re satisfied, not stuffed
- Using a smaller plate allows for less food. Once you’ve completed the small plate, wait for ten minutes, allowing your brain to signal your stomach that it’s satisfied.
We hope you have fun with friends and family during the jolly holiday season! Keep in mind, our trainers offer online coaching if you’re traveling or busy hosting. Nikki is currently booking clients in Bellevue and would love to work with you. Feel free to schedule an appointment!